March
As March is coming to a close, I would like to talk about some of the things I have learned and observed. One of the most helpful activities I have been able to participate in is when Angela came and taught. That opened my eyes to the changes I need to make in my 6 point lesson plan. My lesson was not integrating all of the subjects it could have been such as reading.Some of the outside learning I have been able to experience is talking to parents. I help out with the Dawg Day that happened on campus over the weekend, I gave tours and talked to a hand full of parents about questions they had about the school. Even though the students weren't in my classroom it was a good way to further my ability to talk with them and their parents.
Going along with talking to parents, one of the NCTCS I feel as though I have improved on this month would be standard number three: Teachers Know the Content They Teach. The reason I say this is because, going back to the Dawg Day, I had to know most everything in general about the school and the classes you have to take for Gen Ed. In knowing this information I was able to answer a lot of the question the parents had about the school.
One of the main ideas I keep coming back to in learning but hands-on methods. Angela had a perfect example of using hands-on learning in the classroom. When teaching cause and effect she showed us through hands-on experiments such as the paper clip in the glass of water, the soap in the milk and the boiled egg. All of the experiments when over well with the "children" and were effective in the was we remember what cause and effect were.
Julianna, I agree that the most helpful activity this month was Angela coming in and teaching her lesson. It also made me reconsider my lesson and how I need to actively involve all my students in my lesson. I thought it was cool to hear from someone who has walked in our footsteps and has been where we are now. I also think it's awesome that you are getting that experience talking to parents now. I think that is a very intimidating part of teaching... THE PARENTS!! Soak up all that experience NOW :)
ReplyDeleteI agree, it was very helpful to watch Angela come in and teach our class. My favorite part of her lesson was the experiments she did with us. I feel like I was able to put myself into her shoes, and I also realized I needed to go into my lesson plan and change some things. I am excited but nervous to present my lesson plan.
ReplyDeleteJulianna,
ReplyDeleteYou made a lot of great connections this month! I am glad to see Angela's lesson plan presentation was impactful for you! Great.