First impressions
The first month of EDUC 250 has been great. I have learned so many things such as; how to unpack standards, how to write a semi-decent lesson plan and also how to use twitter. Twitter is a great source, I didn't realize that social media like Twitter could be so relatable. Also while making our infomercial I learned that imovie is amazing, easy to work with, and FREE...
Some of the ways I have been learning outside of the classroom is through other people. This semester, even though it has just started, has given me the chance to learn many things. I have been looking through the standards online trying to figure out where I might want to teach in the future. I had m heart set on k-2 but, I really like science and I know my favorite year in school was my fifth-grade year just because it was so hands-on in the science part of the lesson.
I think the NCTCS I can relate to the most is 1b which states: Teachers demonstrate leadership in the school. Now I know this means in the school you are teaching at, but as of right now we are not teaching, therefore I feel like it applies to Gardner-Webb. The leadership roles I am currently apart for are; Secretary in a voice group, I help lead The Gathering some nights and I also am in a worship leadership position in a ministry group on campus called Focus. I think getting involved in leadership at your school helps make connections you need to learn and grow closer to the school in general.
I have learned that to keep your students interested you need to keep the lesson plan/ learning plan engaging. You have to be able to connect with each and every child in your class to help them understand what is going on and retain the information. I also learned that getting out of the classroom and walking while you learn actually helps people remember what you said. I think that is a great way to keep the children engaged in their studies.
Everything you are apart of that lets you show leadership will help you when you get in your own classroom. Being a secretary, worship leader, and sometimes leading gathering are great things to show leadership. You are getting good practice now so you will be almost a pro at it later. I know you will come up with engaging activities in science at any grade level. Using the walking classroom will be such a great activity for that. I will also use that as a way to engage my students.
ReplyDeleteI think it is awesome how many leadership roles you are playing at college. It definitely shows that you have that leadership quality. The exciting part now, is going to be getting to apply that leadership in a classroom with students. I noticed you commented on thinking you wanted to do K-2 but really enjoy science at the 5th grade level because of the hands-on activities. If your heart is set on K-2, I don't think you lose the hands-on quality. You just have to be a creative, innovative teacher to be able to bring that into the classroom.
ReplyDeleteI relate to this so much! I also noted that Twitter was so helpful in this classroom, it gives you a way to connect to classmates as well as other 250 students. I have also found YouTube helpful! Another thing, I stated was unpacking the lesson plans. I did not think so much detail went into it, but now I understand that lesson plans need every little detail.
ReplyDeleteJulianna, I am glad to see the beginning of 250 has been informative for you! Keep on making those great connections that you can apply to your future classroom! You have made great points here about keeping your students engaged! Thrilled to see you are already investigating the NC SCOS. Grow this practice so you can be fully prepared no matter what grade level you teach! - JP
ReplyDelete